Tuesday, December 20, 2011

meter made??

It seems that my children are becoming more adept at hiding their money - cash money. I am not insinuating that I would ever steal my kids' hard earned moola, but since I don't actually remember my ATM pin number and I am frequently running 7 minutes late to every appointment, sometimes, I need a temporary loan. Kids always have cash. Except, here is where the issue comes in, I don't know where they are stashing it. I checked sidetables, drawers, under the mattresses, and in their velcro wallets. I looked in the sofa cushions and under their seats in the car. I was able to locate $0.70 in change. And then I remembered that I saw a dime between the washer and dryer - success! Still not enough for a one way ride on the turnpike (did I mention that I also don't have speedy ez pass?). Also, not enough for the meter for a full hour, so here are my choices - a) take the long free road and cross my fingers to find an unexpired meter and pray that I don't get a ticket or 2) bribe the toll person with pennies and stuff fruit snacks in the meter? (I wonder what the exchange rate would be...maybe 30 = $1?)




When did they start being so darn secretive? It is not as though I don't pay them back. Shoot, I feed them and clothe them and buy them shoes. I even let them sleep indoors. I think it is fair that they share what is essentially mine anyway. I remember the days when they didn't know the power of the green, when I could easily trade them a cookie for a twenty. Those were the good old days. Now I am reduced to invading their privacy and pilfering their piggybanks. I admit that I am just a tad embarassed at this new low. Afterall, it is Christmastime - a time of hope and generosity and spare change.

No comments:

Post a Comment