Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Holy crap - I broke my baby!

And it can totally happen to you, too. Sure, I threaten those crazy hooligans all of the time, but I never actually thought that it would happen, especially by accident and extra especially on my FAVORITE littlest one (btw, they are all my faves). I called my almost 3 year old in from the snowy outdoors for a snack and some cocoa and proceeded to peel the layers of warm duds, starting (and consequently ending) with the old "gonna pull and tug your mittens off" game when I heard the scream that immediately stopped my breathe and broke my heart. It was a different kind of hurt cry - the one that a mum instinctively thinks, "holy crap - I broke my baby!". After a few frantic phone calls to the doctor and my bff and husband, I loaded my limp arm lovey into the van and headed to the orthopedist. Three x-rays, some manipulation (on the arm, of course) and lots of tears (from both of us) later, her tiny wee arm was relocated (opposite of dislocated?). It was so strange, too. She was wincing from the agony and then she was just great - full range of motion restored and no more pain. She told the doctor (who was awesome and if you ever need an orthopedic guy, Dr. Glacier is the bestest), "Mama pulled my mitten and I got an ouchie and the doctor fixed me and we went tubin'". I couldn't help but recall all of the times we playfully swing the kids by the arms when we are walking through the mall or holding a hand and a toddler trips. Millions of opportunities for injuries and my sweetest gets broken from a simple disrobing. So - beware! Apparently, kids really are breakable. I thought all of those expert people were just kidding...

No comments:

Post a Comment