Monday, November 1, 2010

hoopla

It's November - the beginning of the insanity. And you know what else is coming? Next year and past year's regrets. This holiday season, I am going to try to be more proactive so I can avoid the need to resolve myself with crazy resolutions. New Year's resolutions are the pits and I absolutely loathe those stinkers because:

1) I am already nearly perfect,
2) people take them way too seriously and,
3) I am just awful at follow through.

When I say that I am quite certainly, nearly good enough, I mean it in the most - nay, least - annoying way possible. I don't smoke or drink or speed or swear. I sometimes talk too much and too often and I have heard that I spend too much cash on clothing. Perhaps I could practice the art of silence and try to be a smidge less frivolous (darn you Boden) but, as I often remind my husband, I'm not all that bad.

Each January, we are bombarded with by TV ads luring us into the pit of despair. Clearly, we all let ourselves go to the bottom of the barrel over the holidays but, is it really our fault? From the time that the first leaf turns red through the last of the December holiday parties, we are stuffed with turkey and eggnog and pie. We wear longer sweaters and bigger pants only to be ridiculed by Jenny Craig and Special K and the threats of another summer just around the corner. We should not be surpised by the 5 extra pounds we open from far beneath the Christmas tree or disillusioned that we won't feel badly about that extra rum ball any more now than we were last year.

Also, I have tried the resolution route and failed miserably each time, only to feel like an even bigger, losery let down. I suck at sticking with it. I buy the Whitestrips and wear them for about 1/3 of the recommended time. I do a few walk/jogs around the neighborhood until I hurt my ankle or sleep through the 5:30A alarm. I try to eat healthier, but I adore sugar. I remember to take my vitamins sometimes. And I vow to be the best wife, mother and housekeeper EVER, let's just say, I gave it the good ole' college try.

I opt for this instead - let's dust off the decorations, turn on some fabulous Christmas music (starting today - really, really) and enjoy ourselves during this most joyous of seasons.

1 comment:

  1. Seriously funny and oh so true. We can't transcend our humanity.
    I've got three different types of left-over whitestrips.
    I think I'll skip the x-mas music.

    ReplyDelete